Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default find last number in a string?

If i have a table of numbers in an array and want to find a number starting
with say first 4 digits and want it to tell me the next number in the
sequence, then how do i do it in excel if at all?

i.e.

if a list of numbers such as 1234/1, 1234/2, 1234/3....i want it to tell me
the next in the sequence is 1234/4..

any ideas?

its a pity you cant just think these thoughts in "help"...:)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming the last number in your list is in A1, put this in B1 and drag down:-

=LEFT(A10,5)&MID(A10,FIND("/",A10,1)+1,99999999)+1

it will increment the numbers after the / by 1 up to 99999999

Mike

"Steve" wrote:

If i have a table of numbers in an array and want to find a number starting
with say first 4 digits and want it to tell me the next number in the
sequence, then how do i do it in excel if at all?

i.e.

if a list of numbers such as 1234/1, 1234/2, 1234/3....i want it to tell me
the next in the sequence is 1234/4..

any ideas?

its a pity you cant just think these thoughts in "help"...:)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thx for that MIke, but my numbers are in a table aranged over say 7 columns.

i want to do a ctrl f on the array/table and it to tell me the highest
number in a range of number...as an example...i have say the number 12.02 &
12.03 and number 22.05 & 22.06....i want to be able to say...

"tell me the highest number in the array, not necessarily in same
column....for any number beginning with 22 and then do the same action on any
number beginning say 12"...
so in the first answer i would expect to see 22.06 and in the second i would
expect to see 12.03.
or even better still, for it to return the next in the sequence.

cheers

"Steve" wrote:

If i have a table of numbers in an array and want to find a number starting
with say first 4 digits and want it to tell me the next number in the
sequence, then how do i do it in excel if at all?

i.e.

if a list of numbers such as 1234/1, 1234/2, 1234/3....i want it to tell me
the next in the sequence is 1234/4..

any ideas?

its a pity you cant just think these thoughts in "help"...:)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try:

N1 contains your search number e.g 12

=MAX(--(A1:C2=N1)*(A1:C2<N1+1)*(A1:C2))

Enter with ctrl+shift+enter

Will only work on numbers (Not 1234/1 which is general/text)

HTH