Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to look for the minimum value for MODE?

There is a list of numbers
210,210,209,209,209,208,,207,207,207
I would like to look for the minimum value for the high frequency of
occurrence.
In this case, 209 has 3 occurrences and 207 has 3 occurrences., if I use
MODE function, then it will return the maximum as default [209], but I would
like to return the minimum [207].
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Returning the highest value isn't the default for mode, in the event of a
tie it returns the first value for mode. So to get the lowest sort your list
in ascending order.

Mike

"Eric" wrote:

There is a list of numbers
210,210,209,209,209,208,,207,207,207
I would like to look for the minimum value for the high frequency of
occurrence.
In this case, 209 has 3 occurrences and 207 has 3 occurrences., if I use
MODE function, then it will return the maximum as default [209], but I would
like to return the minimum [207].
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The numbers are listed under a matrix W21:AE34, therefore, it will be
difficult to sort them in ascending order, is there any other approach to
determine the minimum value for the highest frequency of occurrence?
Thank for any suggestions
Eric

"Eric" wrote:

There is a list of numbers
210,210,209,209,209,208,,207,207,207
I would like to look for the minimum value for the high frequency of
occurrence.
In this case, 209 has 3 occurrences and 207 has 3 occurrences., if I use
MODE function, then it will return the maximum as default [209], but I would
like to return the minimum [207].
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Eric,

I was just about to post a reply to find last mode in a list as opposed to
the minimum or maximum value for mode but it seems that the sututation has
changed again from a list of data to an array of data. Back to the drawing
board!

Mike

"Eric" wrote:

There is a list of numbers
210,210,209,209,209,208,,207,207,207
I would like to look for the minimum value for the high frequency of
occurrence.
In this case, 209 has 3 occurrences and 207 has 3 occurrences., if I use
MODE function, then it will return the maximum as default [209], but I would
like to return the minimum [207].
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try the following formula, which needs to be confirmed with
CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER...

=MIN(IF(COUNTIF(W21:AE34,W21:AE34)=MAX(COUNTIF(W21 :AE34,W21:AE34)),W21:AE
34))

Hope this helps!