Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Page 1 of 90 Gone Wrong !!! ???

In my Excel document my footer is set up to print "Page 1 of 90", "Page 2 of
90" etc. Once I am done with my work I send it to another department for
printing. I protect the document so it can not be changed, but when I got my
printed copies back the printed footer now shows Page[Page] of 90.

On my computer it previews and prints correctly. Any ideas what is going
wrong between the time I create this and the time it gets printed? I find it
odd that it has the "90" part right but the [Page] part wrong.

The code below is what I put in the footer.

Page &[Page] of &[Pages]

Quin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you set up the footer, did you use the # and ### icons to insert the
&[Page] and &[Pages] portions of the footer? If not, might try rebuilding
them using them.

If you did use the icons (and therefore we can assume there's not an extra
space or something in the &[Page] field) then I'd suspect a problem with the
driver for the printer that isn't printing them properly.

Another test would be to build a small test file at your machine with just
enough cells filled so that multiple page printout will occur, set up the
same footer, verify it prints properly locally, take it to the print shop and
see how it comes out there. That will help determine if it is a persistent
problem with the print shop's setup or perhaps it is just a glitch of some
type in the one Excel file you've had the problem with.

Also might try it with a protected and unprotected version of the file and
see if there are any differences at the print shop end.

I've seen similar issue with Word 2003: in preview or on local printer it
will print Page 1 of 90 (to use your example) properly, but when sent to a
network printer it ends up Page 1 of 1, Page 2 of 2 ... all the way to Page
89 of 89, Page 90 of 90. We've found that this seems to be tied to a
possible non-reported corruption of the Word file and that copying the
contents to another .doc file and then rebuilding the header/footer will
correct the issue. So we haven't made an absolute determination if it's Word
or printer driver or combination across the network that fouls things up.
"Quin" wrote:

In my Excel document my footer is set up to print "Page 1 of 90", "Page 2 of
90" etc. Once I am done with my work I send it to another department for
printing. I protect the document so it can not be changed, but when I got my
printed copies back the printed footer now shows Page[Page] of 90.

On my computer it previews and prints correctly. Any ideas what is going
wrong between the time I create this and the time it gets printed? I find it
odd that it has the "90" part right but the [Page] part wrong.

The code below is what I put in the footer.

Page &[Page] of &[Pages]

Quin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your detailed reply...

Yes, I did use the icons to create the &[Page] and &[Pages] portions of the
footer. I did, however, insert a space on my own to make it read correctly.
For example I type the word "page" then a space then click the icon. Etc.
That prevents the words and page numbers from running together. At least
that is what I think is needed to space the word "page" from the number.

I will rebuild my footers and try it again. In the past we have had
success, I just don't know what went wrong this time. I need to ask more
questions at the printers and run a few tests as you suggested.

Quin

"Quin" wrote:

In my Excel document my footer is set up to print "Page 1 of 90", "Page 2 of
90" etc. Once I am done with my work I send it to another department for
printing. I protect the document so it can not be changed, but when I got my
printed copies back the printed footer now shows Page[Page] of 90.

On my computer it previews and prints correctly. Any ideas what is going
wrong between the time I create this and the time it gets printed? I find it
odd that it has the "90" part right but the [Page] part wrong.

The code below is what I put in the footer.

Page &[Page] of &[Pages]

Quin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your typing of the space after your word Page should not have affected
anything at all. When I set up footers like that I usually add spaces for
readability also like
"Page<space[page # icon]<spaceof<space<space[pages #s icon]" just to get
it to look good. As long as you didn't do anything within the $[Page] entry
that Excel tossed in when the icon was clicked, it should work (emphasis on
should).