Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I need help with removing "enters" that are separating data in a c

I have data that has been downloaded from a tool and sometimes comments are
listed in one cell wiht the "Enter Arrow" in between the items which cause
issues. Is there an way to remove the arrows in the column of data?

Example :
*test
*test2
*test 3

I hit the enter key after each line, but in excel it keeps all 3 lines in
one cell
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If these are carriage returns you should be able to remove them using DataText
to Columns.

Select the cells...make sure you have some blank collumns to right of
cells........then DataText to ColumnsDelimited byOther hit CTRL + j and Next.

Are the cells broken up?

If so hit Finish.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 13:25:01 -0700, Cbapt
wrote:

I have data that has been downloaded from a tool and sometimes comments are
listed in one cell wiht the "Enter Arrow" in between the items which cause
issues. Is there an way to remove the arrows in the column of data?

Example :
*test
*test2
*test 3

I hit the enter key after each line, but in excel it keeps all 3 lines in
one cell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

CR is my generic term for anything that resembles a line feed or whatever.

Maybe they should be hard returns and soft returns?

It's all too confusing anymore.

Gord

wrote:

I have data that has been downloaded from a tool and sometimes comments are
listed in one cell wiht the "Enter Arrow" in between the items which cause
issues. Is there an way to remove the arrows in the column of data?

Example :
*test
*test2
*test 3

I hit the enter key after each line, but in excel it keeps all 3 lines in
one cell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I need help with removing "enters" that are separating data in

Thanks for this. I was also looking for the same thing. I do have a
question, what are CRs and LFs?

wrote:

I have data that has been downloaded from a tool and sometimes comments are
listed in one cell wiht the "Enter Arrow" in between the items which cause
issues. Is there an way to remove the arrows in the column of data?

Example :
*test
*test2
*test 3

I hit the enter key after each line, but in excel it keeps all 3 lines in
one cell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

CR......Carriage Return

LF.......Line Feed

Using Alt + Enter you can place linefeeds into a cell.

As noted by Dave, these are not technically carriage returns but anything that
returns the cursor or carriage to left side of the next line can be called a
carriage return IMO

Gord