Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default conditional summation

In my Excel 2007, I cant get the Conditional Sum Wizard to work. I see
it in the list as 'Inactive'.. When I select it with 'Go', and see it
in the box of 'Available Addins', and select it, it says it 'cannot
access the file .... sumif.xlam... There are several possible
reasons....' etc. First reason it gives is, 'file or path does not
exist'.. Thats impossible because Im staring right at it in the proper
directory from which it wants to find it. Second reason it gives is,
'file being used by another program'.. Thats impossible because its
not loaded, and no other programs are running. Ive rebooted windows
several times just to make sure it was 'clean' before trying to load
it. And third reason is, '...workbook you are trying to save has same
name as currently open workbook'.. .This one I dont even understand..
Ive tried to load the addin with several different spreadsheets
resident, as well as none. So, regardless, I wont be using the
wizard..

But thats ok.. Cause all I really need someone to tell this novice how
to do the following simple task:

Column G is a column which has several rows with an 'X' in them. The
'X' is used to symbolize a Duplicate value elsewhere... If there is an
'X' in a given row in the G column, then I need the spreadsheet to go
to the E column, and add the numeric value contained there, and I need
it to iterate over all the rows, so that at the bottom of column G
will be a figure which represents the total summation of all the
values in rows for which there is an 'X' in the G column..

Does that make sense? Good. Then can someone PLEASE tell me how to
create the formula for this trivial task.. AT least, Im sure its
trivial to most of you experts.

Thanks much.

Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't have Excel 2007 so I can't help you with the add-in problem but this
formula will work in all versions:

=SUMIF(G1:G10,"x",E1:E10)

Adjust the range to suit.

Biff

"boostm3" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Jun 6, 1:55 pm, "T. Valko" wrote:
I don't have Excel 2007 so I can't help you with the add-in problem but this
formula will work in all versions:

=SUMIF(G1:G10,"x",E1:E10)

Adjust the range to suit.

Biff

"boostm3" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Paul- Hide quoted text -

Thank you T. Valco!!! Works like a champ. Really appreciate it.