Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lost Excel File

After a power cut one of our machines which had an Excel spreadsheet open
would not restart.
Windows would not run but I have been able to put the hard drive in another
machine as a second drive and access the files on it.
My problem is that the spreadsheet that was open has disapeared.
I have tried a couple of free file recovery progs and have found a TMP file
in the directory that the original was in.
I am guessing that if I could start Office from the crashed drive then it
would trigger the "recovered file" procedure.
If I rename the TMP file to XLS then it will open but most it looks garbage.
Is there another way to open one of these files?
Please help.

Many Thanks,

Kevan