Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lost Excel File

After a power cut one of our machines which had an Excel spreadsheet open
would not restart.
Windows would not run but I have been able to put the hard drive in another
machine as a second drive and access the files on it.
My problem is that the spreadsheet that was open has disapeared.
I have tried a couple of free file recovery progs and have found a TMP file
in the directory that the original was in.
I am guessing that if I could start Office from the crashed drive then it
would trigger the "recovered file" procedure.
If I rename the TMP file to XLS then it will open but most it looks garbage.
Is there another way to open one of these files?
Please help.

Many Thanks,

Kevan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't have much other than bad news for you. I'm thinking that the power
outage came at a very bad point - probably while the .xls file was being
written to the drive. In any event it came while the file was open and
Excel/Windows had no opportunity to close it and update the directory entry.
The .tmp file is probably all you have of it now and I think that any attempt
to open it is just going to show you what you have already seen.

If you cannot see all of the folders/files on the crashed disk, here's
something you can try to do to recover data from that crashed disk, and it
might get your data back: go to http://www.knoppix.org/ and download a copy
of Knoppix and create a bootable CD from the download (that's all done pretty
automatically). Set your system to boot from CD and boot from the Knoppix
CD. Eventually you'll be presented with a Windows-like desktop and will be
able to browse all drives on the system, search for files and copy them for
data retrieval. One thing to note: initially Knoppix has all drives set to
read-only, so you'll have to set one up to be able to write with (using
equivalent of right-click .. properties). When i have to do this kind of
thing for data recovery, I usually attach a large (16GB) USB thumb drive to
the system to copy the recovered files to. It's a little slow but reduces
risk of Knoppix altering directory structure of another hard drive -
something they warn of the possibility of. It's never messed up the thumb
drive, but you never know.

I hope someone comes along and offers a better solution to you.

Before going I'll make 2 recommendations that I think will help in future
situations like this:
#1 - invest in some Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) units for your
business machines. They will keep your systems powered up during even a
total power failure long enough to gracefully close programs and shut the
systems down, helping to prevent data loss. They will also help you ride
right through transient brownouts - those 'light-blinking' mini-power drops
without data loss. APC (American Power Conversion), Belkin and Tripp Lite
all make good ones.

#2 - develop and implement a good backup strategy to help protect your
critical business (and home) files. Then in a situation like this, while you
may lose recent work done in a file, at least a backup copy is available to
give you a good start at rebuilding the file to the state it was in when it
was destroyed.