Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I enter an email address w/in a cell & it not be automatic

I am using Xcell 2003. When I enter an email address within a cell it
automatically sets it up so that when you click on the cell it automatically
assumes you want to send that email address a message and outlook opens up.
Is there a way to turn this feature off as I want to display a list of email
addresses for a group of people on this spreadsheet however I don't want the
viewer to get discouraged everytime they click on the email address and
having outlook open. If that user doesn't want to email that person, they
then have to close outlook to get back to the spreadsheet and hope they use
the arrow keys in lieu of clicking on the cell.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ToolsAutocorrect OptionsAutoformat as you type.

Uncheck the first "replace as you type" option.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 19:51:00 -0700, smhoff
wrote:

I am using Xcell 2003. When I enter an email address within a cell it
automatically sets it up so that when you click on the cell it automatically
assumes you want to send that email address a message and outlook opens up.
Is there a way to turn this feature off as I want to display a list of email
addresses for a group of people on this spreadsheet however I don't want the
viewer to get discouraged everytime they click on the email address and
having outlook open. If that user doesn't want to email that person, they
then have to close outlook to get back to the spreadsheet and hope they use
the arrow keys in lieu of clicking on the cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

From the Excel main menu:
<tools<options<spelling tab
Click the [autocorrect options] button
Select the "autoformat as you type" tab
UNcheck: internet and network paths and hyperlinks

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"smhoff" wrote:

I am using Xcell 2003. When I enter an email address within a cell it
automatically sets it up so that when you click on the cell it automatically
assumes you want to send that email address a message and outlook opens up.
Is there a way to turn this feature off as I want to display a list of email
addresses for a group of people on this spreadsheet however I don't want the
viewer to get discouraged everytime they click on the email address and
having outlook open. If that user doesn't want to email that person, they
then have to close outlook to get back to the spreadsheet and hope they use
the arrow keys in lieu of clicking on the cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I enter an email address w/in a cell & it not be automa

that helps when the email address has not already been entered into the cell.
however since the email address was already entered, "unchecking" the box
doesn't work. I tried clearing the cell and typing in a new email address
however it still comes up with the auto mail to feature. do i have to start
over using your original instructions or is there another way to turn it off
although the spreadsheet is already started?

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

From the Excel main menu:

"smhoff" wrote:

I am using Xcell 2003. When I enter an email address within a cell it
automatically sets it up so that when you click on the cell it automatically
assumes you want to send that email address a message and outlook opens up.
Is there a way to turn this feature off as I want to display a list of email
addresses for a group of people on this spreadsheet however I don't want the
viewer to get discouraged everytime they click on the email address and
having outlook open. If that user doesn't want to email that person, they
then have to close outlook to get back to the spreadsheet and hope they use
the arrow keys in lieu of clicking on the cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

Copy a blank cell

Select the range of email addresses

From the Excel main menu:
<edit<paste special....Check: Add......Click [OK]

That should convert them to regular text.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"smhoff" wrote:

that helps when the email address has not already been entered into the cell.
however since the email address was already entered, "unchecking" the box
doesn't work. I tried clearing the cell and typing in a new email address
however it still comes up with the auto mail to feature. do i have to start
over using your original instructions or is there another way to turn it off
although the spreadsheet is already started?

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

From the Excel main menu: