Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Perso.xls is locked for modification

Hi,

I created a file perso.xls by making a false macro. Then, I have imported my
macros (.bas) in perso.xls via the VBA window.

I made myself a new menu bar and I placed shortcut for my macros in it.

The problem is that when I have an Excel file that's opened and I'm opening
a blank one, I have an error message saying "Perso.xls is locked for
modification". I can choose "Lecture only" or "Notify"

If I close the message, I can't see my macros or if I see them I and try to
use them, I can't execute them because I have the error message saying that
Perso.xls is locked.

I would like to not have this error message and be able to execute my macros!

Thank you very much,

Alexandre

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you opening that second file in the same instance of excel?

It kind of sounds like you have a couple of instances running. And since the
first instance already "controls" perso.xls, the second instance is just telling
you that you can't make changes in that instance.

I think the typical solution is to not open excel twice. Just use one instance.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not opening that second file in the same instance of excel because it is
very very useful for me to have different instances.

Thank you for your help.

--
Thank you,

Alexandre

Alexandre Campeau wrote:

Hi,

I created a file perso.xls by making a false macro. Then, I have imported my
macros (.bas) in perso.xls via the VBA window.

I made myself a new menu bar and I placed shortcut for my macros in it.

The problem is that when I have an Excel file that's opened and I'm opening
a blank one, I have an error message saying "Perso.xls is locked for
modification". I can choose "Lecture only" or "Notify"

If I close the message, I can't see my macros or if I see them I and try to
use them, I can't execute them because I have the error message saying that
Perso.xls is locked.

I would like to not have this error message and be able to execute my macros!

Thank you very much,

Alexandre

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're not going to make changes to perso.xls, then you can use windows
explorer and mark that file ReadOnly.

Excel won't bother asking you since it sees that it's already readonly.

Alexandre Campeau wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
I found another solution but I don't know if I will have problem with it
later.

The solution is to create a file "File.xlT" in the same folder than
perso.xls and delete perso.xls. Then, insert the macros in File.xlT.

Thank you very much

Alexandre

Alexandre Campeau wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried to put perso.xls in read only and it's working very well. I hadn't
think to that ! Thank you.

I have modification to do to perso.xls but not often. So when I will need to
do it, I will take out the read only and I will active it again after.

Thank you !

Alexandre

Alexandre Campeau wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ps. I don't use personal.xls (English name for the same file???). I saved my
macros as an addin--personal.xla.

Then I don't have to mark it readonly and I never get prompted.

I did have to have a way to access the subroutines, though.

For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

====
But the UDF's used in formulas is now less typing:

=perso.xls!myudf(a1)
becomes
=myudf(a1)

It's treated just like a built in function.