Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tom tom is offline

Default Excel 2003: Mapping rows (x-axis) vs multiple columns (y-axis)

Excel 2003 SP2
WinXP Pro SP2 1.5GB RAM

The standard Excel mapping doesn't seem to easily accommodate this, unless
I'm "lost in space..."

I need to graph some datapoints in a line-graph. Here's the situation
that's similar to daily temperature, humidity, barometric type of data in
VARIOUS columns
Rows 1:4000= (A=Day of week; B=Date (Mon-Fri, generally but excludes
holidays and 'special' days)
Columns A:AC contain the actual data in groups of 3, 4 or 5 columns
G:I=B=x-axis (date in mm/dd/ccyy format); G=value for Y-axis,
H=value-statement1 (not needed for graphing), I=Value-statement2 (not needed
for graphing)
J:N=B=x-axis (date in mm/dd/ccyy format); J=value for
Y-axis,K=value-statement1 (not needed for graphing), L=value for x-axis (this
is using a different calculation for this group of data (J:N)) Note: Columns
H and K are value-statements and they may be different value-statements. I
don't need to have anything to do with these value-statements relative to the
graphing.
O:Q=O=value for Y-axis
R:T=R=value for Y-axis
U:W=U=value for Y-axis
X:Z=X=value for Y-axis
AA:AC=AA=value for Y-axis
Hence, what I'm attempting to graph are the Y-axis (Any one of columns G, J,
O, R, U, X etc.) vs the X-axis (Row B). How can I do this i) one group at a
time and/or ii) all groups on the same graph?
Note: If I can't easily do it Excel, just recommend something that will.
I'm more interested in the results than 'forcing' Excel 2003 to do the job(s)!
TIA!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What I would do if it were my chart is make another table linked to the main
data, with dates in the first column, your column G in the second, J in the
third, etc., so all data to chart is in one contiguous range. It takes five
minutes to set up, it costs nothing (one worksheet compared to $100 for a
200GB hard drive), and it saves you time and hassle.

If you're not inclined to simplify your life, then select a blank cell not
touching part of the table, and start the chart wizard. In step 2 of the
wizard, click on the Series tab and click Add. Select the data in column B
for the category labels (or X values if you make an XY chart), select the
data in column G for the Y values, enter a name, then click Add again,
select the data in column J for the Y values and enter another name, and
repeat as needed.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP