Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default place ± on tool bar

is there a way to place the ± symbol on the tool bar so you can insert it
into text without going to the symbols and selecting it.
(the alt code won't work - using a notebook)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

widman wrote on Wed, 23 May 2007 14:25:01 -0700:

w is there a way to place the ± symbol on the tool bar so you
w can insert it into text without going to the symbols and
w selecting it. (the alt code won't work - using a notebook)

Could you record a macro and place it on the bar? I've never
tried in Excel but I have done that sort of thing in Word and
even produced a button image for it. You could also auto-correct
something unlikely but easily remembered to ALT+ 0177.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could create a button and assign a macro to do it. But the macro cannot
fire if you are already editing a cell, Excel doesn't hand over control at
that point.

--
HTH

Bob

"widman" wrote in message
is there a way to place the ± symbol on the tool bar so you can insert it
into text without going to the symbols and selecting it.
(the alt code won't work - using a notebook)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can still use a notebook, usually you press the Fn key to get the numpad
equivalent

However you can also use insert. symbols

Peo Sjoblom

"widman" wrote in message
is there a way to place the ± symbol on the tool bar so you can insert it
into text without going to the symbols and selecting it.
(the alt code won't work - using a notebook)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

switching to the keypad in the middle of a formula or whatever on a notebook
to do an alt symbol, even if there is enough light to see the little grey
numbers is cumbersom and worse than the insert. That is why I said no to
that solution from the beginning.

"widman" wrote in message
is there a way to place the ± symbol on the tool bar so you can insert it
into text without going to the symbols and selecting it.
(the alt code won't work - using a notebook)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Wed, 23 May 2007 14:25:01 -0700 from widman
:
is there a way to place the ± symbol on the tool bar so you can insert it
into text without going to the symbols and selecting it.
(the alt code won't work - using a notebook)

Try prssing Fn and Alt at the same time, then typing 0177 and
releasing Alt and Fn. It works for me.

Alternatively, you could install something like Autohotkeys and tell
it to change +- into ±.

(Come to think of it, can you set up Excel's Autocorrect to change +-
into ±?)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

widman wrote:
is there a way to place the ± symbol on the tool bar so you can insert it
into text without going to the symbols and selecting it.
(the alt code won't work - using a notebook)

I've been using a freeware called "AllChars" for many years.

http://allchars.zwolnet.com/

For your request, the key sequence would be ...

Cntrl + - = ±

It works _everywhere_

HTH

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My new notebook is a wide screen with a numeric keypad next to the standard
alphabetic keypad. Though on my old one, holding the FN and ALT keys while
typing 0177 worked just fine.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP