Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default vlookup--novice needs help consolidating!

Hi,
I have the following data in one workbook (workbook1) in column A:
SBF52231
MMM385012BD
MMM38506BD
MMM38504RD
MMM38502ST
MMM38506
In a separate workbook (workbook 2), this data also resides in column A. In
the next column (B), there are comments by team members.
How do I combine the data from these two workbooks so they all reside in
workbook 2?

Please help--thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Need a bit more info, is there more data in columns in workbook 1 that you
want workbook 2 to find via vlookup? From your problem description if sounds
like workbook 1 only has a column of data and that workbook 2 has the same
column of data plus a column of comments and thus already has the combined
data. What data are you trying to lookup by using that 1st column as a
reference?

"specgirl" wrote:

Hi,
I have the following data in one workbook (workbook1) in column A:
SBF52231
MMM385012BD
MMM38506BD
MMM38504RD
MMM38502ST
MMM38506
In a separate workbook (workbook 2), this data also resides in column A. In
the next column (B), there are comments by team members.
How do I combine the data from these two workbooks so they all reside in
workbook 2?

Please help--thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your response.
To clarify, the values in workbook 1 are in that EXACT order in column A.
Also in workbook 1, there is a column B with notes from one set of
co-workers. In workbook 2, the values I mentioned above are dispersed
throughout column A in no specific order. In column B of workbook two, there
are also notes from different co-workers. I would like to use V-look up to
consolidate the two workbooks--preferably, I would like everything to be in
workbook 2 as that is considered the master.

My boss suggested "Vlookup" but I am not familiar with the functionality.
If there is a better/more efficient method, please advise. Thanks!

"specgirl" wrote:

Hi,
I have the following data in one workbook (workbook1) in column A:
SBF52231
MMM385012BD
MMM38506BD
MMM38504RD
MMM38502ST
MMM38506
In a separate workbook (workbook 2), this data also resides in column A. In
the next column (B), there are comments by team members.
How do I combine the data from these two workbooks so they all reside in
workbook 2?

Please help--thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You didn't specify whether you wanted comments from workbook one to take
precident over comments from workbook2. Try this:

Create a column in workbook 2 next to the comments for workbook 2 and put
the following formula.

=VLOOKUP(A2,[WORKBOOK1.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$B$6,2,FALSE)
Copy the formula down the column to the end of your data.

I assume you have some kind of headings and that your actual data starts in
A2.

The VLOOKUP will look at the data in A2 of Workbook2, then it goes to
workbook1, sheet 1 and will look at all the data you want it to look at (the
number and then the comments. It will then look at the 2nd column from the
left which should be your comments. The FALSE just means it will look for an
exact match.

You will have to put the actual name of the workbook 1 and the actual name
of the sheet, also I'd assume that you have more data in workbook1 than just
A2 to B6.