Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Increasing index #s

Will an excell worksheet automatically insert from 1 to 2 to 3 & so on in
each next cell? How is this done. If A-1 has 1 in it, I want B-! to have 2,
C-1 to have 3,etc etc.
Help!
--
Ralphy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way:

Enter 1 in A1, 2 in B1, select A1:B1, and drag the fill handle (lower
right corner of B1) to the right as far as required.

Another;

Enter 1 in A1, and =A1+1 in B1. Copy B1 as far to the right as required.

In article ,
Muddled wrote:

Will an excell worksheet automatically insert from 1 to 2 to 3 & so on in
each next cell? How is this done. If A-1 has 1 in it, I want B-! to have 2,
C-1 to have 3,etc etc.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Enter 1 in A1

Right-click and drag across.

Release mouse button and "Fill Series"

OR......................

Enter =COLUMN() in A1 and drag across.

Neither of these are automatic but close.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 19 May 2007 13:09:00 -0700, Muddled
wrote:

Will an excell worksheet automatically insert from 1 to 2 to 3 & so on in
each next cell? How is this done. If A-1 has 1 in it, I want B-! to have 2,
C-1 to have 3,etc etc.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey Gord,
You have given me a few answers now. Heres another ??. I Make my quote
numbers with the initials of the person quoting. I would like to make a page
like the ascending number one you just told me how to do. It would have
something like the following for a starting number--- DG5/07:23---. Then I
want excel to make an ascednding list that only increases the 23 to 24 & so
on.
DG
--

wrote:

Will an excell worksheet automatically insert from 1 to 2 to 3 & so on in
each next cell? How is this done. If A-1 has 1 in it, I want B-! to have 2,
C-1 to have 3,etc etc.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Enter DG5/07:23 in A1

Left-click on the fill handle and drag across or down and only the 23 will
increment.

Gord