Old May 18th 07, 09:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I convert letters to numbers in Excel?

I want to convert letters to numbers in Excel such where A=0 , B=1,
C=2,....and on. Help please!!!!

Old May 18th 07, 09:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 18 May, 21:50, scarly123
wrote:
I want to convert letters to numbers in Excel such where A=0 , B=1,
C=2,....and on. Help please!!!!

Hi scarly123

If A is in A1 then in B1 type

=CODE(A1)-65

Regards

Steve

Old May 18th 07, 09:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A=0

Hi. Note that the Asc Code for the letter A is =CODE("A"), or 65.
If A1 has the letter "A", then one way...
=CODE(A1)-65
...e.tc.
--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

Old May 18th 07, 11:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

All 26 letters or just some letters?

".........and on" is not too detailed.

Do you need this for a grade-point system or similar?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old May 19th 07, 12:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps you can play with this to do what you want. Enter a in A1 and it
returns 5.

=LOOKUP(A1,{"a","b","c","d","e"},{5,4,3,2,1})

HTH
Regards,
Howard

Old May 19th 07, 01:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Probably more robust to have:

=CODE(UPPER(A1))-65

Hope this helps.

Pete