Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default create .xlk files

Under File, save as, tools, General options, there is an option to Always
create backup. Can someone explain the advantages and disadvantages to this
option?

Thank you!
--
maryj

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No. A client had a file with this option turned on, by someone else. I don't
believe this is really needed but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any
real value for this option.
--
maryj

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

School question?

Peo Sjoblom

"maryj" wrote in message
Under File, save as, tools, General options, there is an option to Always
create backup. Can someone explain the advantages and disadvantages to
this
option?

Thank you!
--
maryj

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Backups are a waste of space until you need one, You don't know how many
people post in these newsgroups saying that they deleted a sheet by mistake
and saved the file, then sheepishly they ask if there is a way to get the
sheet back and unless they emailed the intact file to someone the answer is
always no there is no way, if it is an important file make sure you have a
backup

Peo Sjoblom

"maryj" wrote in message
No. A client had a file with this option turned on, by someone else. I
don't
believe this is really needed but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any
real value for this option.
--
maryj

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

School question?

Peo Sjoblom

"maryj" wrote in message
Under File, save as, tools, General options, there is an option to
Always
create backup. Can someone explain the advantages and disadvantages to
this
option?

Thank you!
--
maryj

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The obvious advantage is you have a backup of the file.

A couple of disadvantages are that it can be confusing to users who don't know
what .xlk files are and those files eat (however small) some disk space.

maryj wrote:

No. A client had a file with this option turned on, by someone else. I don't
believe this is really needed but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any
real value for this option.
--
maryj

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

School question?

Peo Sjoblom

"maryj" wrote in message
Under File, save as, tools, General options, there is an option to Always
create backup. Can someone explain the advantages and disadvantages to
this
option?

Thank you!
--
maryj

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you - that is what I thought. Just wanted to verify.
--
maryj

"maryj" wrote in message
No. A client had a file with this option turned on, by someone else. I
don't
believe this is really needed but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any
real value for this option.
--
maryj

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote: