slw66

Default How do I automatically total and flag charges when they reach a s.

I have to pay writers per article. I cannot pay them until their total
reaches a set amount. Then I send accounting a request to pay. Right now I
just keep typing their info into excel, which means that I retype their name,
new article name, words, price, when each issue comes out, then I put them in
abc order, then I total them up on my own if they look like they might be up
to the set amount.

But I keep thinking there has to be a better way to do this. Any ideas?
Kassie

There are definitely better ways of doing this. I would need more detail on
the info you use, to really help you though. It boils down to better
organisation, possibly using an input form and a macro to run the whole lot.

Kassie

"slw66" wrote:

I have to pay writers per article. I cannot pay them until their total
reaches a set amount. Then I send accounting a request to pay. Right now I
just keep typing their info into excel, which means that I retype their name,
new article name, words, price, when each issue comes out, then I put them in
abc order, then I total them up on my own if they look like they might be up
to the set amount.

But I keep thinking there has to be a better way to do this. Any ideas?

Kassie

There are stacks of books available on both Excel and Access, but I think it
would be best if you got this info locally. I am sure one of the Microsoft
MVP's can recommend good reading material. I taught myself Excel and Access,
so I do not have any books on the subject.

Regards

"slw66" wrote:

Thank you Kassie,

Can you recommend any books to learn to do these things? I cannot believe I
am getting ready to graduate with a BS in Business Administration and I don't
know how to create macros or forms in excel. I barely know how to use Access
either.

Thank you.

"slw66" wrote:

I have to pay writers per article. I cannot pay them until their total
reaches a set amount. Then I send accounting a request to pay. Right now I
just keep typing their info into excel, which means that I retype their name,
new article name, words, price, when each issue comes out, then I put them in
abc order, then I total them up on my own if they look like they might be up
to the set amount.

But I keep thinking there has to be a better way to do this. Any ideas?

Dave Peterson

If the list of author's names don't vary, you could use Data|Validation to make
sure you picked/typed in the correct name.

See Debra Dalgleish's site:

If your data is sorted nicely, you can use Data|Subtotals to insert a count of
articles for each author. But you'll have to remove the subtotals, sort your
data, and add the subtotals each time you add a new article.

Or you could use data|pivottable to count each author.

If you want to read more about the pivottable stuff, you may want to look at
some links:

Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
And Debra's own site:

John Walkenbach also has some at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
(look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx

--