Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I need help

Hi I need to update a schedule weekly. I use an excel sheet to update the
schedule. Is there a way to show what data has been updated for the week.
There is a lot of data and it takes too much time to go line by line every
week to check what has been updated. Would i be able to dump the data into a
temporary excel file and have the changes highlighted?
--
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

check tools-track changes
you can tell it to tack cahnges "since date":

"confused" wrote:

Hi I need to update a schedule weekly. I use an excel sheet to update the
schedule. Is there a way to show what data has been updated for the week.
There is a lot of data and it takes too much time to go line by line every
week to check what has been updated. Would i be able to dump the data into a
temporary excel file and have the changes highlighted?
--
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

keep a copy of the old sheet
when you get the new sheet
open a clean sheet
and in A1 enter
='new sheet'!A1&if('old sheet'!A1="new sheet'!A1,"","#")
copy through the appropriatre rows and columns
select the appropriate cells and
format-conditional format
formula is =right(A1,1)<"#" and set border =yellow

Select a character other than # if it is used in the sheets,

"confused" wrote:

Hi I need to update a schedule weekly. I use an excel sheet to update the
schedule. Is there a way to show what data has been updated for the week.
There is a lot of data and it takes too much time to go line by line every
week to check what has been updated. Would i be able to dump the data into a
temporary excel file and have the changes highlighted?
--
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

(things in < refer to items from the tool bars)
go to the original sheet
<edit<Go to<special select last cell <OK
this will show the cell with nothing to the right or below
write down the cell address (I will use H100 as an example
go to the clean sheet

enter the formula in cell A1
copy A1
up above cell a1 you will see a block in the formula bar which says A1
click in this cell and enter the range A1:H100 and hit enter
(or appropriate)
paste this should now show a copy of the changed sheet with the astrick
added as appropriate
keeping the area selected
<format<conditional format
you see a block saying "Cell Value is"
click on this block and select "Formula is"
enetr the conditional format equation
and hit OK

occassionaly I have to go back into condiional formating and play with the
formula such as getting rid of quote marks or changing cell references from
absolute to relative (why I don't know)