Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do i look up the closest number valuein a lookup?

I'm trying to match the lookup value with the number closest (larger or
smaller) than the value. Can this be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

use a helper column with interpolted values between your main value set.
look up on this column.

"lepche" wrote:

I'm trying to match the lookup value with the number closest (larger or
smaller) than the value. Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Vlookup or Hlookup defaults to the number before your search value. Not sure
about finding the number above yoru search value.

"lepche" wrote:

I'm trying to match the lookup value with the number closest (larger or
smaller) than the value. Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This can be done using an *array* formula.

Say the list of numbers is in A1 to A20.
Enter the number to lookup in C1.

Then, try this:

=INDEX(A1:A20,MATCH(MIN(ABS(A1:A20-C1)),ABS(A1:A20-C1),0))

--
Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of the
regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

--

HTH,

RD