Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Validation with multiple table selection

Hi,

I'm trying to have a dropdown list look at another dropdown list & reference
a particular named range based on the 1st dropdown's current selection. The
actual amount of selections in dropdown 1 is 3, with 3 different named ranges
to reference.

I thought I could get away with the multiple options by using a series of
CONCATENATE/IF statements, but it seems like I'm doing something wrong. If
possible, I'd like to use this style, as I believe it will be useful for
future dropdown lists I'll want to add later in my workbook. Here is the
formula Iam trying to enter into Data Validation/Source:

=CONCATENATE(IF(F4="Analog
Path",MAIN_UDP_Selection_Path_Analog,""),IF(F4="Di gital
Path",MAIN_UDP_Selection_Path_Digital,""),IF(F4="P assthrough
Path",MAIN_UDP_Selection_Path_Passthrough,""))

It tells me I must reference a delimited list, or a single column or row
when I try to put this formula in. All 3 named ranges are in the same column,
but 2 of these ranges overlap slightly. I can list any of these named ranges
as the source (i.e. =MAIN_UDP_Selection_Path_Analog) with no problems, but my
formula doesnt seem to output a named range, or maybe its something else I'm
missing. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well...I was able to solve my problem by renaming all my entries in dropdown
1's named range to single word entries with corresponding named ranges &
using a simple INDIRECT function. But I would be interested if anybody has a
solution or feedback to the original formula & whether it is a feasible
approach...given that I would prefer to have more detailed/wordy named ranges
in order to more easily recognize their functions & roles as my workbook
grows larger with functions.

Thanks.

"SteveMax" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You can also refer to this link for aditional information.

Follow this URL " Excel -- Data Validation -- Create Dependent Lists"

Challa Prabhu

"SteveMax" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the response. I have read that a few times but I believe the main
issue I'm having is related to the CONCATENATE function within data
validation.

It seems the CONCATENATE function's output, no matter what I seem to do, is
not treated as a named range, list, table, etc. It seems to treat it as text
only.

I would appreciate if anybody could confirm or invalidate my conclusion on
that.