Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007 Name Conflict

Hi All,

I have about 800+ excel workbooks, with an apparent problem. If I
open one of the files in excel 07 it gives me an error message, Name
Conflict
Name cannot be the same as a built-in name
Old name=print_area
new name=

Problem is i don't want to manually go and change all 800 files, any
way around this?

Thanks,
Reeza

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Reeza

You can change the name in all workbooks in Excel 2003 with a macro maybe ?.
If you want me to take a look at one of the files on my system
send the file to me private.

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Reeza" wrote in message ups.com...
Hi All,

I have about 800+ excel workbooks, with an apparent problem. If I
open one of the files in excel 07 it gives me an error message, Name
Conflict
Name cannot be the same as a built-in name
Old name=print_area
new name=

Problem is i don't want to manually go and change all 800 files, any
way around this?

Thanks,
Reeza

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On May 10, 1:24 pm, "Ron de Bruin" wrote:
Hi Reeza

You can change the name in all workbooks in Excel 2003 with a macro maybe ?.
If you want me to take a look at one of the files on my system
send the file to me private.

--

Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Reeza" wrote in oglegroups.com...
Hi All,

I have about 800+ excel workbooks, with an apparent problem. If I
open one of the files in excel 07 it gives me an error message, Name
Conflict
Name cannot be the same as a built-in name
Old name=print_area
new name=

Problem is i don't want to manually go and change all 800 files, any
way around this?

Thanks,
Reeza

Catch 22..Confidential data, but can't open the file to clear the data
without first fixing the problem :)

Reeza

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On May 10, 2:29 pm, "Ron de Bruin" wrote:
Can't you open the file in 2003 on another machine and change the name ?

If this is working I can help you with a macro to chnage the names in all workbooks

--

Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Reeza" wrote in ooglegroups.com...
[...]

Excel prompts you to change the name, can't open the file without
changing the name first actually.

It appears to be a range named print_area which conflicts with a built
in variable in excel. We upgraded all our computers this morning, but
I'll do one on my personal computer tonight and send it over. Thanks
Ron.

Reeza

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know if you'd call this a solution but I think I found a way to
circumvent the problem. The file I was getting Name Conflict "Print_Area"
error for had multiple worksheets, all of which had been formatted to print
only a certain portion of the worksheet. I opened the file in an older
version of Excel and on each worksheet, I reset the print area. I was then
able to open the file in Excel 07. An interesting thing about this process
is that when I opened the newly reset file in Excel 07, the original print
areas were still intact. This may be a quirk with my individual file or it
may be a function of the coding. I don't know. All I know is that I can now
open this necessary file in Excel 07. It also makes me think that the macro
idea from Ron might be the way to go---set a macro to reset the print areas
in your files. Hope this helps.

Michael