Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Delete duplicate and original entries in excel

I'm working with a large excel database and need to delete not only
the duplicate record, but also the original one-- if that makes sense.
I've merged two databases together--one that's a master list of names
and contact info and the second with names of people who have already
been contacted. So when I put the two together, for instance a record
for Joe Smith shows up twice because he's been contacted, so I need to
delete both entries, so he's effectively no longer in the
database...any suggestions? Everything that I've seen only deletes the
dulplicate, which would mean Joe Smith would still show up in the
database.

Thanks for your help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If these have all been added into a single sheet and names are all in same
column, you can add a formula to an unused cell on the row and extend it down
the entire list. Assume names are in column A and go from row 2 to row 1500.
Put a formula like this in an unused column on row 2 and fill down:
=CountIf(A$2:A$1500,A2)
The set up Data | Filter | AutoFilter

Pick the pulldown at the top of the column with your formulas in it and
choose (Custom) from the drop-down list. In the dialog that appears choose
the 'is greater than' option and enter 1 as the value. Now only entries that
appear more than once in the list will be displayed, you can safely selecte
them all and Edit | Delete to delete the entire group of rows. Remove the
AutoFilter and you'll see all of the other entries left over.

Practice on a COPY of your database file.