Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Links

Hi,

I have a database spreadsheet with over 100 links to 100 seperate workbooks.
Everything is working fine until I insert a row, then all the referrance
points become misaligned. It has just been suggested that i uncheck the
"update remote referances" box. Before I do this to all my associated
workbooks I thought I would ensure that this works, and that it maintains the
links

Thanks in advance for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How about making a couple of small workbooks and testing it?

Are these links that something like:
='C:\My Documents\Excel\[book4.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1
(Pointing directly at a cell)

If they are, maybe you can open all the workbooks that depend on that workbook
before you make your change.

Or you could use a range name in the "sending" workbook. Then refer to that
range name in the other workbooks?

Or maybe you could create a dedicated worksheet that is used for linking. This
sheet accumulates all the links in a layout that doesn't change. The formulas
would point back to cells in that same workbook, so that they would adjust if
those other worksheets change. But the external workbooks would still point at
this one accumulator worksheet. (And hide that worksheet if you want to.)

--

Dave Peterson