Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Keep formula fixed

I want to keep a formula the same even if I move one of the cells that it
referenced.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dlw dlw is offline

use $ in the cell references and they won't change, like $a$1 instead of a1

"Oldjay" wrote:

I want to keep a formula the same even if I move one of the cells that it
referenced.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

They will change if you move the cell it refers to, one way would be to use

=INDIRECT("A1")

will always refer to A1

Peo Sjoblom

"Oldjay" wrote:

I want to keep a formula the same even if I move one of the cells that it
referenced.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Copy the cell instead of moving it. Use ctrl+drag instead of just dragging.
If you drag a cell to move it, even an absolute reference will change with
the cell, but if you copy it instead, the formula will remain unchanged.
Hope that helps!

"Oldjay" wrote:

I want to keep a formula the same even if I move one of the cells that it
referenced.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

If a formula refers to a range of cells, dragging a cell value may not keep
the correct reference. The formula may no longer be correct. Therefor it is
recommended that you copy those cells and paste it to a different location
using the Copy command from the Edit menu, or press the CTRL key and drag
copy of the cell withou copying the content of the cell to the clipboard.

Thereafter, select the cell and right-click, and then click Clear Content.
This way the formula will still refer to the empty cell value with out
showing a incorrect value.

Challa Prabhu