Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sampling

I have a list of about 1,500 clients in a spreadsheet and would like to
choose every 10th one for a sample group. Any suggestions on doing so? I
have Excel 2003.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With data in column A, starting A1, this will select rows 1,11,21 etc. Put in
B1 and copy down

=INDEX(A:A,(ROW()-1)*10+1,1)

HTH

"gary53217" wrote:

I have a list of about 1,500 clients in a spreadsheet and would like to
choose every 10th one for a sample group. Any suggestions on doing so? I
have Excel 2003.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

gary53217 wrote on Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:22:08 -0700:

g "Toppers" wrote:

?? With data in column A, starting A1, this will select rows
?? 1,11,21 etc. Put in B1 and copy down
??
?? =INDEX(A:A,(ROW()-1)*10+1,1)
??
?? HTH
??
?? "gary53217" wrote:
??
?? I have a list of about 1,500 clients in a spreadsheet and
?? would like to choose every 10th one for a sample group.
?? Any suggestions on doing so? I have Excel 2003. Thank
?? you

The old trick of making a helper column on the far right,
filling it with RAND(), sorting and using the first 150 might
work.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: