Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jen Jen is offline

Default Converting Excel 97 files to 2003

Hi,

I have a lot of files currently in Excel 97. Is it likely that I will face a
lot of problems when opening them in Excel 2003 which I am going to install?

Does anyone know what sorts of problems are common when opening Excel 97
files in 2003, and also how these can be fixed?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jen,

I have a lot of files currently in Excel 97. Is it likely that I will face a
lot of problems when opening them in Excel 2003 which I am going to install?

Does anyone know what sorts of problems are common when opening Excel 97
files in 2003, and also how these can be fixed?

You should be just fine.
When you FIRST open an 97 file in 2003, 2003 will do a full recalc+rebuild of
the calc tree. This may take some time on large models.
After that, save the file and it should work just fine.

Inserting and deleting rows through VBA will be slower in 2003 because that
triggers a recalc. Setting calculation to manual before doing those kinds of
things overcomes that.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com
Member of:
Professional Office Developer Association
www.proofficedev.com