Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel freezing up constantly

I have built a very large and complex model for a client, and all was going
well until a few weeks ago when Excel started locking up (not responding)
every few minutes. I get the hourglass icon and no indication of what is
going on. The only trick I've figured out to stop it is to bring up Task
Manager, which tends to cut off the interruption. Unfortunately, however, it
happens again a few minutes or seconds later. I can't figure out what could
be causing this, but it is keeping me from getting my work done. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try setting calculation to manual and see what happens.
Tools | Options | Calculation (tab) | Manual (button)
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Marybeth"
wrote in message
I have built a very large and complex model for a client, and all was going
well until a few weeks ago when Excel started locking up (not responding)
every few minutes. I get the hourglass icon and no indication of what is
going on. The only trick I've figured out to stop it is to bring up Task
Manager, which tends to cut off the interruption. Unfortunately, however, it
happens again a few minutes or seconds later. I can't figure out what could
be causing this, but it is keeping me from getting my work done. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Jim. I'll give this a try and see what happens. Interestingly, I
decided to email the file to my home computer (I usually am on a laptop
provided by my client) and see how it worked on my much older computer. I'm
having no problems working on it there (so far). This problem is very
perplexing!