Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Over-riding Password Protection

Hi
I was handed a password protected excel file without the password. So
I searched around WWW and found several password detection software.
In particular I paid a modest amount for the Accent Excel Password
Recovery software. I have chosen the settings: all alphabet, all 10
digits and special chars. The software has run for over 50 hours now
still without success. I know that it is trying by "brute force" by
generating and testing passwords. I see a link in the main window that
says faster password recovery. Hence I am wondering in what way the
password recovery can happen faster other than throwing more CPU's.

a)Is there a way a windows domain administrator can open the file?
b)Has anyone written code to recover passwords that is available in
the public domain?
c)Will contacting MS help?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

People will need to know if the password you refer to is
1) to open an XLS file
or
2) to remove worksheet/workbook protection
or
3) a VBA project password
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for your help.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Bernard
The password is for opening the XLS file. I think it will be same as
choosing Tools-Options-Security

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this: http://www.straxx.com/excel/password.html

Its free and it works for removing file passwords. It won't remove VBA
passwords.
Depending on your version of excel, it can take a few minutes, but sometimes
only a few seconds - just let it run.