Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default string function help

One way, assuming there may be "." in the server name that you want to
keep:

=MID(LEFT(A1, FIND("^^", SUBSTITUTE(A1, ".", "^^", LEN(A1) -
LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1, ".", "")))) - 1), FIND("@", A1) + 1, 255)

In article ,
Eelinla wrote:

Hi, I am trying to move data from one column of a chart to another.
For example:

cell B4 =
cell C4 =

cell D4 =

what i need to do is pull the servername out and move it to the
corresponding cell ie B6, C6, and D6

ex of what i want in cell B6 = blah
ex of what i want in cell C6 = wee
ex of what i want in cell D6 = anotherlongname

I have tryed various combinations of string formulas and the closest i could
get still left me with more information than i want as the data in column B
varies in length.
I have tryed various ways using the find mid right left to no avail. Any
help would be appreciated.

~Thanks Eelinla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

if you refer to the examples i listed..all i want is the information that is
between the "@" to .com or w/e domain name they use. ex
i would like it to show me -- mymail.rr basicly i
want to take anthing between @ and the final . in an email addy in column C4
and move it to column C6

"Stan Brown" wrote:

Sat, 21 Apr 2007 07:40:04 -0700 from Eelinla
:
Hi, I am trying to move data from one column of a chart to another.
For example:

cell B4 =

cell C4 =

cell D4 =

what i need to do is pull the servername out and move it to the
corresponding cell ie B6, C6, and D6

ex of what i want in cell B6 = blah
ex of what i want in cell C6 = wee
ex of what i want in cell D6 = anotherlongname

This formula will accomplish what you're asking:
=MID(A1,SEARCH("@",A1)+1,SEARCH(".",A1,SEARCH("@", A1))-SEARCH
("@",A1)-1)
This formula fails on a more complex domain name, like -- it
will return b where I'm pretty sure you want something else.
Consider, for example,
-- do you
want "microsoft", "microsoft.com", "discussions.microsoft.com", or
what?

In any event, I think you're asking for the wrong thing. ".com" or
whatever is part of the server name.

I have tryed various combinations of string formulas and the closest i could
get still left me with more information than i want as the data in column B
varies in length.

It woud be nice to see what you have tried. But again, I think the
first step is to get clear on what you *want*.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ignored the previous post. Here is the correct formula

=MID(B4,FIND("@",B4)+1,FIND(".",B4)-FIND("@",B4)-1)

"Teethless mama" wrote:

Try this:

=MID(B4,FIND("@",B4)+1,LEN(B4)-FIND("@",B4)-4)