-   -   HARD RETURN IN A CELL (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/138987-hard-return-cell.html)

Dave T

HARD RETURN IN A CELL

I have a spreadsheet that was exported from Outlook or word and has a hard
return represented by the symbol of a square. It looks like in Outlook they
had a street address, hard return and then suite number. I need to go through
the spread sheet and delete each hard return in order to leave all the same
data in one cell. Can this hard return be removed, without going through each
record?

Thank you.

Ron Coderre

HARD RETURN IN A CELL

Try this:

Select the range of cells you need fixed

From the Excel main menu
<edit<replace
Find What: ...Hold down the [Alt] key...type 0010...Release the [Alt] key
Replace with: ...Type a space
Click the [Replace All] button

That will replace all of the line feeds (ASCII code 0010) with a space.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Dave T" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that was exported from Outlook or word and has a hard
return represented by the symbol of a square. It looks like in Outlook they
had a street address, hard return and then suite number. I need to go through
the spread sheet and delete each hard return in order to leave all the same
data in one cell. Can this hard return be removed, without going through each
record?

Thank you.

Dave Peterson

HARD RETURN IN A CELL

Another way to specify that alt-enter key is to use ctrl-j (instead of
alt-0010).

Ron Coderre wrote:

Try this:

Select the range of cells you need fixed

From the Excel main menu

--

Dave Peterson

Ron Coderre

HARD RETURN IN A CELL

Good to know, Dave. Thanks.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

Ron Coderre wrote:

Try this:

Select the range of cells you need fixed

From the Excel main menu

"Dave T" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that was exported from Outlook or word and has a hard
return represented by the symbol of a square. It looks like in Outlook they
had a street address, hard return and then suite number. I need to go through
the spread sheet and delete each hard return in order to leave all the same
data in one cell. Can this hard return be removed, without going through each
record?

Thank you.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave T

HARD RETURN IN A CELL

Thank you, it works perfectly.

David

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Good to know, Dave. Thanks.

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

Ron Coderre wrote:

Try this:

Select the range of cells you need fixed

From the Excel main menu