Theresa

Default Formulas

How do I set up a formula that will deduct from a beginning balance and keep
an ending balance as I add items to be deducted?

CyberTaz

One way is to use the SUM() function for your total (ending balance) and
enter the amounts to be deducted as negative values by using a minus sign or
enclosing them in parentheses.

You could also build a formula such as =A1-A2-A3-A4, etc.

Other ways are also possible.

Hope this helps |:)

"Theresa" wrote:

How do I set up a formula that will deduct from a beginning balance and keep
an ending balance as I add items to be deducted?

BenjieLop

Theresa Wrote:
How do I set up a formula that will deduct from a beginning balance and
keep
an ending balance as I add items to be deducted?

Assume that your beginning balance is in Cell B1 and you want to deduct
an entry in Cell A2, then your formula

=B1-A2 (enter this in, say, Cell B2, to get a balance)

As you enter more items in Column A, just copy down the formula in Cell
B2 until your requirements are met.

However, if you just want one ending balance after all the transactions
are entered, then this is the formula that you need

=B1-sum(A2:A100)

where

B1 = the cell where you have your beginning balance and
(A2:A100) is the assumed range of the entries that need to be deducted
from your beginning balance.

Just adjust the range (A2:A100) to suit your requirements.

Hope this helps you.

--
BenjieLop

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11019