Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Text in a file downloaded to excel

I download information from outside sources into a .CSV file, which I
then save as an EXCEL file. The information contains large quantities
of text - which in its original format is all caps. Once I download
it, or as I am downloading and saving - is there anyway I can format
the cells to first letter cap only?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can insert a column next to the one that contains the text that is in all
caps. In a blank cell in your new column, insert the function '=Proper(A1)'
(dont use the quotation marks)... You can drag that function down the entire
column so that it converts the entire column without you having to retype the
formula wach time. After you are done, copy the new column with the corrected
text, then 'paste special', 'values' in the same location. This will give you
the Proper Cased data in text, not in the the form of the formula you imput.
After that is done you can get rid of the original column of all caps data.
Sorry if this is too confusing, I was never great at giving directions, I
just thought I would try to help.

" wrote:

I download information from outside sources into a .CSV file, which I
then save as an EXCEL file. The information contains large quantities
of text - which in its original format is all caps. Once I download
it, or as I am downloading and saving - is there anyway I can format
the cells to first letter cap only?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel has UPPER, LOWER and PROPER functions.

e.g. QWERTY in A1

=PROPER(A1) returns Qwerty

To do a great many of these at once you could use VBA macro to change the Case.

The macro below will change to Proper Case

Sub optProper_Click()
'David McRitchie, programming, 2003-03-07
Dim rng1 As Range, rng2 As Range, bigrange As Range
Dim cell As Range
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
On Error Resume Next
Set rng1 = Intersect(Selection, _
Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants))
Set rng2 = Intersect(Selection, _
Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas))
On Error GoTo 0
If rng1 Is Nothing Then
Set bigrange = rng2
ElseIf rng2 Is Nothing Then
Set bigrange = rng1
Else
Set bigrange = Union(rng1, rng2)
End If
If bigrange Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "All cells in range are EMPTY"
GoTo done
End If
For Each cell In bigrange
cell.Formula = Application.Proper(cell.Formula)
Next cell
done:
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 11 Apr 2007 12:45:00 -0700, wrote:

I download information from outside sources into a .CSV file, which I
then save as an EXCEL file. The information contains large quantities
of text - which in its original format is all caps. Once I download
it, or as I am downloading and saving - is there anyway I can format
the cells to first letter cap only?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

No.

You do not have keyboard short cut as Shif+F3 as you find in Microsoft Word.
You have to use only the function keys =UPPER(cell reference), =LOWER(cell
reference) or =PROPER(cell reference).

Challa Prabhu