Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I format Concatenate function?

My goal is to combine 2 values that are calculated in their respective cells
into one string.
What I have is the number '2' in cell A1 and the number '3 1/8' in cell B1.
I want to come up with the text 2'-3 1/8" in cell C1. My problem is that the
inches part of it comes out in decimals, not as a fraction, ie. I get
2'-3.0625" instead. What is the easiest way to solve this? I've got thousands
of cells to convert.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 04:22:00 -0700, deepc
wrote:

My goal is to combine 2 values that are calculated in their respective cells
into one string.
What I have is the number '2' in cell A1 and the number '3 1/8' in cell B1.
I want to come up with the text 2'-3 1/8" in cell C1. My problem is that the
inches part of it comes out in decimals, not as a fraction, ie. I get
2'-3.0625" instead. What is the easiest way to solve this? I've got thousands
of cells to convert.

Use the TEXT worksheet function to format. E.g:

=TEXT(A1, "# ?/8") & "-" & TEXT(B1, "# ?/8")

--ron