Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Art Art is offline

Default When I. open Excel files, it says LOOK IN MY COMPUTER vs OFFICE

I had to wipe out my hard drive due to a Trojan Horse. I had backed up all my
spreadsheets on a floppy and after reinstalling Office, I copied the files to
Excel. They're all there but here's the problem: When I open Excel and click
the Open icon, it says LOOK IN MY COMPUTER instead of LOOK IN OFFICE or even
LOOK IN EXCEL. Then it takes me 6 steps to get the files to open. How can I
change it to read LOOK IN OFFICE or EXCEL as it always did before the
wipeout! Art May
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Art

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 09:58:02 -0700, Art wrote:

I had to wipe out my hard drive due to a Trojan Horse. I had backed up all my
spreadsheets on a floppy and after reinstalling Office, I copied the files to
Excel. They're all there but here's the problem: When I open Excel and click
the Open icon, it says LOOK IN MY COMPUTER instead of LOOK IN OFFICE or even
LOOK IN EXCEL. Then it takes me 6 steps to get the files to open. How can I
change it to read LOOK IN OFFICE or EXCEL as it always did before the
wipeout! Art May

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Art Art is offline

Default When I. open Excel files, it says LOOK IN MY COMPUTER vs OFFIC

The "ignore other applications" was already unchecked. I tried checking it
and restarting but that didn't help and so I unchecked it again. I can get to
my spreadsheets by 1)clicking on MY Documents 2)then clicking on Local Disk
C\ and then 3)on EXCEL and all my spreadsheets show up fine. I haven't
figured out how to lock that LOOK IN EXCEL alternative...closing down and
restarting gives me the same old problem. I appreciate your taking the time
to help me!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can we assume the second suggestion produced a positive result?

Gord

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 06:36:03 -0700, Art wrote:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!