Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Rate of Return

I am trying to find the effective rate of return for the following:

Present Value $100,000
3 yrs = 0 payments
7 yrs = $1460.86 per payment
Life of loan is 10 yrs.

If I calculate just on the 7 yrs, I get 6%, but isn't there a way to find
the effective rate of return over the entire life of the loan?

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There are a two ways of doing this that I know of:

Create a range of cash flows (-100000, 0 for 36 cells, 1460.86 for 84 cells),
then feed this range to IRR. The result will be the monthly rate of return
(because your payments are monthly).

Add a range of dates to the cash flow cells, and feed these two ranges to XIRR.
It will return the effective annual interest rate.

Fred