-   -   How do I reduce fractions into lowest terms? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/137661-how-do-i-reduce-fractions-into-lowest-terms.html)

Seawitch

How do I reduce fractions into lowest terms?

I am working with fractions in Ecel daily and need to know the formula in
order that the the fractions are in lowest terms (ie 12/16 = 3/4).

Ron Coderre

How do I reduce fractions into lowest terms?

Try something like this:

Select the cell(s) to be impacted

From the Excel main menu:
<format<cells<number tab
Category: Fraction
Type: (select whatever is appropriate)
Click [OK]

In your example (12/16),
if you had selected the Type: Up to 3 digits

The cell would display as 3/4
If the cell contained 0.1328125, it would display as 17/128

Is that something you can work with?
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP