-   -   How to have cells automatically expand when typing (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/137500-how-have-cells-automatically-expand-when-typing.html)

Northwoods

How to have cells automatically expand when typing

Is there a way to have the cells automatically increase row height when what
you are typing is exceeds the cell dimensions? I have to describe entries in
a cell and the column width is good, I don't want that to change but I would
like the row height to automatically change so I can see all the text.

Dave Peterson

How to have cells automatically expand when typing

You could use an event macro that autofits the changed cell's row height
whenever you make a change.

If you want to try, rightclick on the worksheet tab that should have this
behavior. Select view code and paste this into the code window:

Option Explicit
Target.EntireRow.AutoFit
End Sub

But be aware that most macros destroy the Edit|Undo and Edit|Redo stack. (I'd
just do it manually so I wouldn't lose that.)

--

Dave Peterson

Diane

How to have cells automatically expand when typing

Have you also tried: format rowautofit?

Northwoods

How to have cells automatically expand when typing

Thank you both, simple for me is best. What I did is checked wrap text under
format cells -- alignment tab. Autoformat did not work and the macro sounded
a bit iffy.
Thanks again