Dave

Default Changing text from all caps to first letter cap

I have a file with alot of columns of data. In a couple of the columns, the
words are typed with all caps. I would like the words to have only the first
letter of each word capitalized. I can not do an edit/replace because there
are many different words. Is there a formatting or edit/replace trick that I
can use to accomplish this? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks
Myrna Larson

In a 'helper' column put a formula like =PROPER(A1). Copy down, then copy this
column and Edit/Paste Special,Values over the original data.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:33:02 -0800, "Dave"
wrote:

I have a file with alot of columns of data. In a couple of the columns, the
words are typed with all caps. I would like the words to have only the first
letter of each word capitalized. I can not do an edit/replace because there
are many different words. Is there a formatting or edit/replace trick that I
can use to accomplish this? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

Gord Dibben

Dave

To change one cell to Proper Text use =PROPER(cellref)

This can be copied to encompass a range of columns and rows.

Assume the two columns are A and B

In C1 enter =PROPER(A1)

Darg/Copy to D1 then select C1 and D1 and drag/copy down.

When happy, Copy column C and D and Paste Special(in place)ValuesOKEsc.

Delete column A and B

OR you could use a macro to do all without formulas. If so desired, see David
McRitchie's site for his Proper macro.

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP