Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Compare and Return Results

I want to compare one column on Worksheet A to another Column on Worksheet B.
Proper Names will be iin boths Columns. I'm looking for Names that are not
on both Worksheets. That is, if the name is not found on both Worksheets, I
want to capture that name/result. What can I do to obtain this? thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If lists are in column of Sheet1 & Sheet2:

Put in B1 on Sheet1:

=IF(A1,Sheet2!A:A)=0),"Name not on both","")

Put in B1 on Sheet2:

=IF(A1,Sheet1!A:A)=0),"Name not on both","")

and copy down. This will list missing names.

HTH

"Electronic Lady" wrote:

I want to compare one column on Worksheet A to another Column on Worksheet B.
Proper Names will be iin boths Columns. I'm looking for Names that are not
on both Worksheets. That is, if the name is not found on both Worksheets, I
want to capture that name/result. What can I do to obtain this? thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It looks like you have a third worksheet with a complete list of names? I
would put all data on one worksheet.

Row Search List count A List B list

1
2
3

In the count column use the formula
=countif($c$2:$d$100,A1)
$c$2:$d$100 is the rqange of where you have all the names
A1 is the cell that has the name you are looking for.

copy the formul down in every cell in column B.
The entries in column b with 0 are the names that weren't found.

"Electronic Lady" wrote:

I want to compare one column on Worksheet A to another Column on Worksheet B.
Proper Names will be iin boths Columns. I'm looking for Names that are not
on both Worksheets. That is, if the name is not found on both Worksheets, I
want to capture that name/result. What can I do to obtain this? thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think I may be missing something. Where are the results posted? On what
spreadsheet? Am I supposed to link them some how? I've really no experence
with this kind of stuff. I did as you suggested, but I don't see a list of
names not found on the other spreasheet.

"Electronic Lady" wrote:

I want to compare one column on Worksheet A to another Column on Worksheet B.
Proper Names will be iin boths Columns. I'm looking for Names that are not
on both Worksheets. That is, if the name is not found on both Worksheets, I
want to capture that name/result. What can I do to obtain this? thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Joel, this works by identifying whether the name occurs once or twice. But
in the case that the name only occurs on (1) list, I need to know what list
it occurs on. Do you know what I can do to identify that?

"Electronic Lady" wrote:

I want to compare one column on Worksheet A to another Column on Worksheet B.
Proper Names will be iin boths Columns. I'm looking for Names that are not
on both Worksheets. That is, if the name is not found on both Worksheets, I
want to capture that name/result. What can I do to obtain this? thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There isn't a 3rd Worksheet -- there are only 2 Worksheets/workbooks. I want
to compare the two lists and identify any names that do not appear on the
other. Most names will be in both Workbooks, but there will be some names
that appear on one and not the other. Those missing names are the names that
I want to capture. Make sense?

"Electronic Lady" wrote:

I want to compare one column on Worksheet A to another Column on Worksheet B.
Proper Names will be iin boths Columns. I'm looking for Names that are not
on both Worksheets. That is, if the name is not found on both Worksheets, I
want to capture that name/result. What can I do to obtain this? thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry .. a "dooh" moment:

Put in B1 on Sheet1:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1,Sheet2!A:A)=0,A1,"")

Put in B1 on Sheet2:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1,Sheet1!A:A)=0,A1,"")

Will now give names

"Electronic Lady" wrote:

I want to compare one column on Worksheet A to another Column on Worksheet B.
Proper Names will be iin boths Columns. I'm looking for Names that are not
on both Worksheets. That is, if the name is not found on both Worksheets, I
want to capture that name/result. What can I do to obtain this? thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This formula returns all names, not just names that are missing. I'm so
confused. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. How is this formula looking
at both worksheets? Can I put both list on one worksheet and do a compare
and find differences that way? ??

"Toppers" wrote:

Sorry .. a "dooh" moment:

Put in B1 on Sheet1:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1,Sheet2!A:A)=0,A1,"")

Put in B1 on Sheet2:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1,Sheet1!A:A)=0,A1,"")

Will now give names

"Electronic Lady" wrote:

I want to compare one column on Worksheet A to another Column on Worksheet B.
Proper Names will be iin boths Columns. I'm looking for Names that are not
on both Worksheets. That is, if the name is not found on both Worksheets, I
want to capture that name/result. What can I do to obtain this? thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Add a column to both worksheets with the formula. The number will be either 1
or 0. I could be higher if names werre duplicated on each list.

You statement below got me confused : I'm looking for Names that are not on
both Worksheets.

"Electronic Lady" wrote:

I want to compare one column on Worksheet A to another Column on Worksheet B.
Proper Names will be iin boths Columns. I'm looking for Names that are not
on both Worksheets. That is, if the name is not found on both Worksheets, I
want to capture that name/result. What can I do to obtain this? thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just put me down as an idiot !!!!

You are doing nothing wrong ... it's me. I put the parameters the wrong way
round.

Put in B1 on Sheet1:

=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!A:A,A1)=0,A1,"")

Put in B1 on Sheet2:

=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet1!A:A,A1)=0,A1,"")

"Electronic Lady" wrote:

This formula returns all names, not just names that are missing. I'm so
confused. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. How is this formula looking
at both worksheets? Can I put both list on one worksheet and do a compare
and find differences that way? ??

"Toppers" wrote:

Sorry .. a "dooh" moment:

Put in B1 on Sheet1: