Old March 28th 07, 02:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Temporary Files Location

Hi all,

When Excel opens a file, it creates a temporary file in the same
directory. This file disappears as soon as the Excel workbook is
closed again. But what if I want these temporary files to be created
in a chosen location, instead of the same directory as where my file
resides?

Thanks for your time and answer!

Frederik

Old March 28th 07, 03:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel doesn't do this.

Are you sure it's not your antivirus software.

Excel will store some temporary files in your windows temp folder--and it'll
create a temporary workbook when it saves, but if that save is successful, then
that workbook will disappear.

MSWord does create a temporary file in that same folder. It'll start with a
tilde ~ (IIRC).

Old March 29th 07, 09:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for you answer Dave,

it'll create a temporary workbook when it saves

Can I change this file location? The Excel files are on a NAS device.
This NAS device communicates with an Antivirus Server. We do not want
these temporary files to be sent to the AV server and so it would be
better if the temporary files would be saved on the local machine
instead of on the NAS device.

Kind regards,
Frederik

Old March 29th 07, 01:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know a way to change this behavior.

The only work-around that I can think of is to copy the workbook to a different
location, work on it there, and when done, copy it back to its real home.

Thanks for you answer Dave,

Old March 30th 07, 03:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jaf jaf is offline

Hi Frederik,
Sorry. Its hard coded. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/150368 for Excel.
And this one on Word has a longer explaination
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211632 Click the "where and when..." link.

--
John
johnf202 at hot mail dot com

"Frederik" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for you answer Dave,

Old February 11th 11, 11:04 AM
Junior Member

Hi Frederik,
Sorry for replying to this old post, but the problem is still there.
I ran into the same problem while I work with webdav(DMS) with versioning.
Everytime Excel wants to write this temp file and delete it after closing.
I found that Excel 2007 does not make this temp file when you open an 'xls' or when the location is read only. In the latter situation excel will add [read only] in it's header to the file name.
When I open an 'xlsx', Excel 2007 just creates this temp file as soon as you open the file. Not only when you make changes or so.

Indeed, the best workaround is download+reserving the file and edit it localy. After finished upload a new version. It's not what I call very userfriendly.

Florisz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaf View Post
Hi Frederik,
Sorry. Its hard coded. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/150368 for Excel.
And this one on Word has a longer explaination
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211632 Click the "where and when..." link.

--
John
johnf202 at hot mail dot com