Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how best to handle longish text fields in excel?

I have to enter a log that has a long text comment per entry. I would also
like to maintain the new line formatting of the comment. The text is usually
about the length of an average email. Is this a job for excel? Or should I
consider something else?

I want to be able to sort and filter the entries. Cull unnecessary entries
and print what is pertinent... Any suggestions?

Cass
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I don't think excel was created for stuff like this. And sorting based on a
column long comments will sort by how they start (alphabetical).

And depending on how long the average email is, you may find that you can't see
all the text in the cell.

If you're gonna try to use excel for this, I'd do some experimentation with
minor amounts of data before committing to it.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok... I suspect that this is not the very best tool :)
But I want to sort by date, topic, and recipient for now. And eventually
dump the entries to a database. I dont know of any other short term tool.

Anyone have experience in this?