Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Leading Zero with Function

You need to add the zeroes with the test statement or format, her is an example
=LEFT(TEXT(A1,"00000"),3)

--
-John Northwest11
is helpful.

"klmiura" wrote:

I have a column that displays zipcodes in the Zip Code format, but I am
trying to create a column to the left of that column that will display the
first three digits of the zip code and I am having issues bringing forward
the leading zeros. I have tried custom formatting and am using the following
formula to bring the first three digits over =LEFT(B4005,3); this formula
brings over the first three digits in all cases except the leading zeros. I
am at a loss. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Karen