Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default distributing an Excel custom button

Hi, I have previously distributed an Excel 2003 file that contained a
Macro which the user could run on the spreadsheet. That worked fine.

Now, I have added a custom button which will run that same macro when
selected (It would save the users the time of selecting tools /
macros / run)

The problem is that when the user opens the new file I emailed with
the button, the button does not appear.

Do you know how I can save a custom button or custom shortcut menu so
that it is available to all users who open this file?

What options do I have to make this custom functionality available to
all users (aside from giving instructions on how to create the custom
button / menu from scratch?)

It appears the custom button functionality is saved to my local
machine / Excel application (as opposed to being saved in with the
file which I distributed)

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi,
your observations are correct. customizations, such as custom icons, apply
only to the machine you are customizing and not to files or other machines.
but you can distrubute the custom icon.
on your machine, right click the tool bar and click customize. in the
customize box, click the command tab. select the custom icon and click modify
selection on the customize box. from the pop up, click copy button image. you
can now paste the button image into an blank excel sheet and distrubute the
custom icon.
your users will have to set up the run macro button on their machine, copy
the custom icon from the xl sheet and go through the process above except
from the pop up click paste buttom image over the run macro button. last
assign the macro to the new button.
yes a bit machanical but it works.

good luck
FSt1

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How did you create that custom button? Did you add it to a toolbar?

If you did....

Your life will become much simpler if you include code to create the toolbar
when the workbook is opened and include code to destroy the toolbar when the
workbook is closed.

For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

--

Dave Peterson