Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
TT TT is offline

Default Retrieve data from Drop Down List

Hi there,

I tried to find a solution to my problem but couldn't find exactly what I
was looking for so I thought I would post it. :)

What I would like to do is have a user pick an area from a drop down list
(say in cell A1), and then, once the item has been selected, have the list of
programs for that area appear from A5 to A'x' depending on how many programs
there are for that area.

Is this possible??

I have a separate tab set up with a named ranges for AREA and PROGRAM and I
have my drop down menu working fine with the data validation for AREA.

Basically my lists look something like this

AREA List PROGRAM List
AREA 1 AREA 1 PROGRAM 1
AREA 2 AREA 1 PROGRAM 2
AREA 3 AREA 1 PROGRAM 3
AREA 2 PROGRAM 1
AREA 2 PROGRAM 2
AREA 3 PROGRAM 1

If someone could help me out, that would be great!

Thanks in advance!!

--
TT
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here's a sample file.

sample.xls 13.5kb

http://cjoint.com/?dyeX1ikJbl

You have to copy the formula to enough cells that it covers the max number
of programs for any area. In your sample data Area 1 has the most programs,
3, so, you'd have to copy the formula to at least 3 cells. In the sample
file I've copied the formula to 5 cells.

Biff

"TT" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
TT TT is offline

Thank you very much!

This does EXACTLY what I was looking for!

--
TT