Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default New method for PERCENTILE & QUARTILE formulas

I have a suggestion that we will be very useful for our company.
The way Excel calculate PERCENTILE and QUARTILE series is not appropiate for
discrete numbers.

My suggestion
At the moment =percentile(a1:a10,.05) gives 5.5 in the sequence
{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}. This is incorrect on discrete numbers.

Following the example above, I want to gather discrete numbers, i.e. "5" on
the series rather than "5.5". The same apply for QUARTILE formulas where a
second parameter is needed.
Add a Third parameter [optional] as follows:
- 0, default (as it currently works)
- 1, takes the inferior discrete number
- 2, takes the superior discrete number

click "I Agree" in the message pane.