Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FTM FTM is offline

Default Protect sheet but hide rows?

Hello All,
I have a large spreadsheet that is used as a tool by many people, the
formula in the spreadsheet have to be protected to prevent them being
overwritten or deleted by users however I would like the users to be able to
hide or unhide rows/columns. When I use the protect worksheet function I
don't seem to be able to allow hide/unhide.
Any help very welcome!
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What version of Excel are you using. In Excel 2003 there is an option to
permit formatting Rows (and/or columns) which will permit the operations on a
protected sheet. Not sure if 2002 (XP) had that option or not (I believe it
did), but 2000 and earlier do not have it.
If these are always the same rows to be hidden/revealed, then you could do
it with two macros - either attached to a button on the sheet or not; one to
unprotect the sheet, unhide the rows, protect it again; the other to
unprotect, hide, protect again.

But I"m betting that ~*Amanda*~ has the better idea.

"FTM" wrote:

Hello All,
I have a large spreadsheet that is used as a tool by many people, the
formula in the spreadsheet have to be protected to prevent them being
overwritten or deleted by users however I would like the users to be able to
hide or unhide rows/columns. When I use the protect worksheet function I
don't seem to be able to allow hide/unhide.
Any help very welcome!
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FTM FTM is offline

Thank you this option to allow formatting of rows/columns works perfectly!
(Auto filter is not applicable as the ablity to hide rows/columns is to
allow users to personalise their view rather than filter information.)

"FTM" wrote:

Hello All,
I have a large spreadsheet that is used as a tool by many people, the
formula in the spreadsheet have to be protected to prevent them being
overwritten or deleted by users however I would like the users to be able to
hide or unhide rows/columns. When I use the protect worksheet function I
don't seem to be able to allow hide/unhide.
Any help very welcome!
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Quick question on this (sorry to hijack the discussion!).

will this unprotecting and then protecting again work if you have a password
used? obviously you don't want this to become common knowledge which I guess
could be the case if someone goes into the macro itself.

"FTM" wrote:

Hello All,
I have a large spreadsheet that is used as a tool by many people, the
formula in the spreadsheet have to be protected to prevent them being
overwritten or deleted by users however I would like the users to be able to
hide or unhide rows/columns. When I use the protect worksheet function I
don't seem to be able to allow hide/unhide.
Any help very welcome!
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="justme"

do the things you do

ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="justme"

If you lock the priject for viewing, users cannot see the code ir the password.

Open VBE and right-click on your project/workbook and select
PropertiesProtectionLock project for viewing.

Give it a password then Save the workbook, close and re-open to see protection
is on that project.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP