Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lock Row after Data Entry

I would like to create a worksheet that once you enter data in a Row it
cannot be modified or deleted.
The purpose of this is to account for receivable $$$'s and I do not want
anyone to be able to change or delete the information (especially $$$ amount)
once I have verified that it is on the receivable list. I would like to have
columns available next to the "locked" information that notes or information
could be added.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There are a couple or three (or more) ways of attacking this.

The manual way:
Set up the worksheet the way you want and select all cells on the sheet and
then go to Format | Cells | and then on the protection tab, make them
UNLOCKED. Then go back to the sheet and select the cells you want to prevent
changes to and again use Format | Cells but this time choose LOCKED.

For the time being, the sheet will act like normal and you can type into any
cell on it, including the ones you don't want to change later. Once you've
got data entered then you use Tools | Protection | Protect sheet and give the
sheet a password (write it down or something so you don't forget it
yourself). Now people can still type into the cells that were left in the
UNLOCKED state, but cannot change the entries in the LOCKED cells.

The usual warning goes with this: password protection of workbooks and
worksheets is weak and easy to crack. Many tools are available to unlock
such sheets. But it should suffice to do what you want: prevent accidental
alteration of certain information. It'll even prevent intentional attempts
to change it unless the person trying to do so is armed with tools to get
past the password protection.

Now - all of that is fine and dandy if you are the one that's going to be
entering the data you don't want changed and then send the sheet out for
others to use/review or whatever. But if this is something that several
people need to make entries into the areas you don't want ot change once data
is entered in to them, then you're going to have to resort to some VB coding
to get the job done.

Is what I've given you so far good enough or is this a situation where we
need to look into creating some macros to do this through automation?