-   -   clicking shortcut opens excel prog, but not highlighted file-why? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/133617-clicking-shortcut-opens-excel-prog-but-not-highlighted-file-why.html)

cavanman

clicking shortcut opens excel prog, but not highlighted file-why?

After double clicking on an excel file icon in My Computer, the Excel Program
opens, but the file/worksheet does not - just a blank grey screen. To open
the file I have to go through FileOpen in Excel. Is this because of a
problem in Excel or the shortcut?

Dave Peterson

clicking shortcut opens excel prog, but not highlighted file-why?

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver