Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Magical disappearing shapes!

Okay, this is just... odd. I have a bunch of shapes in an excel document,
most of which I turned into buttons that take you to another sheet in the
document. I'm pretty proud of them.. they go from blue to yellow when you
click them. Anyway, they're gone. I can see the text in them, but the shapes
seem to have run away.

Now, here's the fun part: if I take one of my autoshapes (which happens to
be a bar that separates the headers from the rest of the sheet) and drag it
around, the missing buttons and such reappear, one little strip at a time
(whatever the bar touches). By the way, the bar was invisible as well, I just
knew where it was and clicked on it. The shapes are still there- I can
right-click them and everything. I just wish they'd stay, you know, _visible_.

Oh, and if I drag around my little bar (or make it wider so that I can see
everything) and click away from that spreadsheet and come back to it, all the
shapes are gone again. Even scrolling to another part in the document where
the buttons aren't visible or opening and then minimizing a small window on
top of the document (like this new question window!) makes them go away.
Moving a window around on top of it makes them reappear.. I just figured that
one out. The invisibility extends to the objects in my charts as well. My
objects are also missing when I print preview it, even if they are currently
visible in editing mode.

Any ideas? I really don't care how far-fetched said ideas may be.

Thanks,
Lauren

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

If you copy one of the objects and paste it into another workbook, does it
show?
if you generate an object in another sheet and paste into your current
sheet, does it show.
additionally, check page setup-sheet and make ssure draft quality and black
and white are not selected.

in other words, I do not know what it is, but there is a chance you have a
corrupted file.

"Lauren Giles" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

try this to copy them

Sub copyshapes()
For i = 1 To ActiveSheet.Shapes.Count
ActiveSheet.Shapes(i).Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets("sheet2").Paste
Next i

Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Lauren Giles" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Copy/ pasting into another workbook does the same thing- it's there, but it's
invisible until I move it around.

*makes a yellow circle in another workbook* huh. that's interesting. After I
made it, it was there... then, if I shrink the sheet it's on or anything, it
becomes invisible just like the others.

Page setup is fine.

Wow. Now isn't this fun. I've now checked other Excel files that have images
in them (simple clip art and images from file), and they're doing the same
thing.

I am befuddled (that's a fun word). Thanks for your efforts...

"Lauren Giles" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

if you send the file to someone else does it work for them?
If so, You may need to reinstall excel on your computer.
Hopefully someone will come up with something, but it soulds like there is a
problem with the excel on your computer.

"Lauren Giles" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, I decided to shut down my computer (again) and see what happened. I let
it rest a bit and turned it back on and loaded a random document that has
images. At first, it was reacting the same (I fiddled with it, shrunk it down
and back up, conducted a couple of the same experiments, all with the same
results). I shrunk down Excel and started writing a ticket for the IT fellas.
When I ran back over to Excel, everything was there... it continues to be
there as well. *scratches head* I do not question providence. Thanks for your
help.

"Lauren Giles" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Apparently it's working now but
copy/paste this macro into a macro moduleselect the sheet with the errant
shapesexecute the macro.