Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RMP RMP is offline

Default Number formatting

I have a number showing in cell B2 as 00 00000 000 which is the format
required.

When I view the same number in the formula bar it shows as 0000000000 and is
sometimes even a digit short (removing the first zero)

The format showing is affecting my VLOOKUP formula, please could someone
help me by formatting the account number so it shows as 00 00000 000 in the
cell and in the formula bar.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
--
RMP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RMP RMP is offline

Thankyou for your response,unfortunately that is not an option I am able to
use as there are uoto 1500 entries.

Do you have any other suggestions?
--
RMP

"RMP" wrote:

I have a number showing in cell B2 as 00 00000 000 which is the format
required.

When I view the same number in the formula bar it shows as 0000000000 and is
sometimes even a digit short (removing the first zero)

The format showing is affecting my VLOOKUP formula, please could someone
help me by formatting the account number so it shows as 00 00000 000 in the
cell and in the formula bar.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
--
RMP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

insert a column next to it
in C2 enter
=text(b2,"00 00000 000")
copy and paste to end of data
copy column c and paste special values
it is text that will show the same in the formula bar and the cell

"RMP" wrote:

I have a number showing in cell B2 as 00 00000 000 which is the format
required.

When I view the same number in the formula bar it shows as 0000000000 and is
sometimes even a digit short (removing the first zero)

The format showing is affecting my VLOOKUP formula, please could someone
help me by formatting the account number so it shows as 00 00000 000 in the
cell and in the formula bar.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
--
RMP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If it is a number, then the formula bar will show the number, not any
formatting which you have applied. If you want to see spaces, and leading
zeroes, then you'll need to treat the data as text, either by formatting the
cell as text before you type the data in or by preceding the data with an
apostrophe.
--
David Biddulph