Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Microsoft works

Don't know where else to go with my problem. Can't find anything about
MS Works. So here is my problem. I can create a spreadsheet on Works
and save it to my flash drive, after I modify it and try to save it
with the save button, I get an error that it cannot find the drive.
However, it does get saved. It will work if I do a "save as" and
replace the file without an error message.

What the heck??
I teach at adult schools and all the omputers have WinXP and Office XP
installed and they all have the same problem.

Sid

--
juscrzn4fun
juscrzn4fun's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=6645

Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A couple suggestions:

First, whenever you're working off a flash drive or a floppy or a disk, for
the love of GOD save it to the computer you're working on while you're
working on the document. Why? Because the program (Works, Word, Excel,
whatever) ain't gonna autosave to the thumb drive or floppy or disk, even if
it's set to, and if it decides to shut down and you've been working on it for
two hours, you're SOL. You should copy over your document, then remove the
drive from the computer, and work that way. Then, when you're done, save it
to the external method, make sure it saved to the external method by closing
it and opening it from the external, then delete it off the computer you were
working on. You have no idea how much pain and anguish that will save you.

Second: Don't use the "save button," especially the first time you're saving
it in a session. The button is probably why you're having the problems,
hence why "save as" works. So, right when you open a doc off a flash, "save
as" it, and then just get in the habit of hitting ctrl+S every, oh, thirty
seconds or so. :) You never know when a program will encounter an error that
ticks it off and decides it needs to close.

"juscrzn4fun" wrote:

Don't know where else to go with my problem. Can't find anything about
MS Works. So here is my problem. I can create a spreadsheet on Works
and save it to my flash drive, after I modify it and try to save it
with the save button, I get an error that it cannot find the drive.
However, it does get saved. It will work if I do a "save as" and
replace the file without an error message.

What the heck??
I teach at adult schools and all the omputers have WinXP and Office XP
installed and they all have the same problem.

Sid

--
juscrzn4fun
juscrzn4fun's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=6645
View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=1370447

Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, I'll try the Ctrl-s and see what happens. I really don't want
the students saving to the hard drive and clutter up the computers
because there are other classes that use them. Some of the students
will invariably forget to move the files to their flash drive, and I
periodically come around and delete all the junk.